We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the x?m?θkw?y??m (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and S?l?ílw?ta?/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
We’re a committed and talented group of diverse people working hard to solve a real, universal problem for millions of entrepreneurs: businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. We’ve paired smart humans with incredibly powerful software to develop the fastest, most efficient bookkeeping service in history. This lets us provide monthly and yearly financials at an incredibly accessible price, giving business owners the time, confidence, and knowledge they need to be successful.
Bench is growing fast. Recently, we’ve onboarded our 10000th client and our 500th employee. We have a clear, funded path to profitability, and a roadmap that we believe will rapidly accelerate the trajectory of our business. We’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible journey, in pursuit of bringing financial mastery to our clients.
What's the BenchTax team like?
With BenchTax we will ensure our clients can ditch the tax season stress, forever. We’re a startup within a startup; a small but mighty team working cross-functionally within Bench as well as working closely with our tax partner, Taxfyle.
What you’ll be getting up to:
Engage with clients to discuss their tax situation, options for tax savings and optimization, and tax season preparation.
- Handles ongoing consultation and planning with their assigned clients
- Ensures that each client is prepared for tax season and taking actions on areas where they can optimize their tax returns
- Manages the scheduling of tax planning check-ins with clients
- Maintains accurate client records to ensure the Bench teams understand all outcomes of any tax advisory provided to our clients
- Ensure the outcomes of your advisory are being met through working directly with our tax partner, Taxfyle, as well as the respective teams within Bench
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Own the tax advisory outcomes of clients: Be able to deliver Bench’s tax advisory service through the following:
- +2 years of applicable experience preparing and reviewing tax returns for individuals and all business entity types, either prepared by themselves or members of their team
- Licensed as an active Certified Public Accountant, Enrolled Agent, or practicing attorney. Licence is current, active and in good standing
- Active and up to date PTIN
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Committed to maintaining annual continuing education requirements (CPEs)
- Staying up to date with changes in the US Tax Code (and tax laws of other state/local municipalities)
It could be an even better fit if you:
- Some accounting knowledge: At times may be required to explain to clients how their tax return is being impacted by their financial statements, so it would be good have:
- +2 years of accounting experience
- And/or undergraduate degree in accounting
- All About Continuous Improvement: Has demonstrable experience continuously improving processes, workflows, and performance visualizations to enhance client outcomes. Participate with the BenchTax Teams to continuously improve the overall service delivery in the pursuit of being completely obsessed with positive client outcomes. At minimum is comfortable working in a space where iterative improvements to enhance our client’s experience is paramount.
Extra bonus point if you:
- Mentorship & Training: Has experience with ongoing mentorship and training, to a broad range of people with varying experiences, in the space of US tax. Is fully dedicated to leveling up the BenchTax team to ensure we have all of the latest information related to the tax services we’re providing to our clients. Can step into a supporting role where broad tax training is delivered to all client facing Benchmates.
- Strategically Minded: We’re here to build a world class tax advisory and compliance service for micro-small businesses in the US. In order to do so, this individual must be able to step into the space where they’ll act as a voice for new opportunities to strategically improve our service offerings, whether that’s breadth or depth of the services.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- This position offers an annual salary, and a health stipend.
- Our office has gone fully remote! We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.