Department: Retail Lending
Reports To: Branch Manager
Summary: Consult with existing and prospective customers to meet lending needs (mortgage and consumer), identify opportunities for cross-sell of additional Bank products and services. Maintain and grow a portfolio of customers to enhance the Bank’s competitive position in the markets it serves. Adhere to regulations and maintain up-to-date compliance understanding.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Meet with consumer and mortgage applicants as necessary to obtain information for loan applications and answer questions about the loan process.
• Explain to customers the different types of loans and credit options available, as well as the terms of those services.
• Obtain, compile, and analyze financial, credit, and background information on potential and existing borrowers as necessary for loan processing.
• Analyze applicants’ financial status, credit, and other applicable information to determine feasibility of granting loans.
• Approve loans within specified limits, and refer loan applications outside those limits for approval, based on the financial institution’s policies and procedures. Ability to present arguments for exception approval succinctly and make recommendations for approval or denial of exception.
• Negotiate loan terms, such as costs, loan period, loan repayment methods, and collateral specifications, and inform borrowers of loan commitments.
• Ability to understand and recognize secondary market mortgage requirements to make the appropriate product recommendation to the customer.
• Review loan agreements to ensure that they are complete and accurate according to policy and regulations.
• Coordinate collection efforts with loan collectors and contact borrowers.
• Work with clients to identify their financial goals and consult on ways of reaching those goals; ability to cross-sell other bank products, services, and refer to Trust.
• Ability to consult with the customer to help make decisions that are right for the customer, acting as a financial advisor or credit counselor.
• Assist in identifying competition, trends, unfulfilled borrower needs, and potential lending opportunities.
• Understand and follow bank/department/government regulations, policies, and procedures, and participate in all compliance-related training.
• Other duties as assigned and/or necessary.